Substance Abuse Resources
We screen all patients for substance abuse, and we encourage our patients to discuss substance abuse concerns with their providers. You can also schedule appointments with one of our social workers, who can help you assess and access the best resources for your situation.
If you are concerned about the possibility of an opiate overdose for yourself or someone else, we can provide Narcan and train you to administer it in an emergency.
Call (603) 447-8900 and press 1 to schedule an appointment.
Local treatment options
We refer patients to these local outpatient counselors:
- The Friendship House (Tri-County CAP) outpatient satellite sites in North Conway and Tamworth. Call the main office for scheduling, (603) 869-2210.
- Pathways for Better Living in Intervale, (603) 356-3400.
- The Mental Health Center in Conway Village, (603) 447-2111.
We also refer patients to these local medication-assisted and/or inpatient treatment options:
Health insurance and substance abuse
- Health insurance companies are required to cover substance abuse treatment. This includes both private insurance and Medicaid.
- How much you will pay for your care will vary by insurance plan. Treatment covered by Medicaid is free.
- Most plans will allow you to schedule substance misuse and mental health appointments without a referral from your primary care provider.
- Most insurers list a number specifically for mental health and substance abuse services on the back of your insurance card. This is a good place to start when you are looking for resources because your insurance company can direct you to providers they’ll cover, and help you understand how much of the cost you will be responsible for based on your plan.
- Drug Free NH - information and resources for people in many situations, including a guide to different drugs and how to help friends and family with substance abuse issues.
- What is Substance Abuse Treatment? A Booklet for Families
- Signs, Symptoms, & Treatment of Teen Drug Abuse
- Rethinking Drinking
Statewide treatment options
- NH Treatment - a great search tool with a map
- Promoting Prevention and Recovery Resource Guide - NH Bureau of Drug and Alcohol Services guide with helpful explanations
- Bureau of Drug and Alcohol Services confidential treatment and information resources – call (603) 271-6100 or 1-800-804-0909 during business hours and ask for the substance abuse counselor.
Connect with others and get support
- Granite State Narcotics Anonymous and Maine Area Narcotics Anonymous
- New Hampshire and Maine Alcoholics Anonymous
- Anyone Anytime NH - Facebook group for NH state campaign to fight the opioid crisis. Up-to-date news and resources.
- Families Sharing Without Shame - support for parents of children who have misused drugs or alcohol.
The views expressed by resources linked here are not necessarily the views of White Mountain Community Health Center